Another "lost" post... written 12/03/10...
Yup, once again, time has gotten away from me. The last month has gone quickly and time has become my enemy. i just don't seem to have enough of it!
Komen for the Cure 3-day. The 3-day was incredible! An accomplishment for all involved. On the fundraising side, over 7 million was raised for the DFW walk alone. And on the personal side, I made it... all 56 miles (give or take a few). Day one was 19.6 miles, and I was doing great until the last 1.8 miles or so. Oh, I had to pee like I never had, and of course there was no where to go. From the last rest stop to the finish for the day was four miles, and I was so concerned with staying hydrated that my kidneys where in overload. So what was about 1.8 miles, felt like 5! Once I got to where I could see the finish line for the day, I practically plowed some people down to get to the port-o-potties. Day two was the longest mileage at 21.6 miles. I walked with a fun group of moderate paced girls from PSIM. They made the time go fast and kept me laughing! Bart brought the kids to a cheering station and due to bad communication they had to wait for me almost three hours before I made it to them. But I was SO glad to see my family. I hung out with them and waited until my group caught up with me and then continued on my way. The blisters that night were not awful, but sure did make walking a challenge. I showered, went to the med tent for blister therapy, then finally ate. My tent mate (who was staying in a hotel) saw me at dinner and asked how things were going. I was tired, sore, and cold, and had wet hair form my recent shower. She offered to let me sleep in her extra bed in her hotel room, and well, it didn't take much to persuade me there. So I slept fairly well that night, and was rested for the last day. Day three, started early, 5:30am early. We came to camp early to allow me to take down my tent and pack up and get my stuff to the gear truck before eating and catching the bus to the start for day three. I found Amy, Michelle, and the group. We took the bus to Ursaline Academy in Dallas and set off for the last 15.?? miles. This route was awesome, totally scenic and touristy. We walked to Reverchon Park, took Katy trail, passed the front doors of the W, walked by the grassy knoll and the Kennedy Memorial. Went through the West End to Deep Ellum, and finally made it to Fair Park. Closing ceremonies was at Fair Park, and I was so excited to see Bart. We texted back and forth trying to find each other and when it was over we did. I was so overwhelmed with emotions. Ecstatic that I did it, I walked the entire route! Sad and yet joyous for the battle against breast cancer has effected so many. And tired from walking almost 60 miles. I crossed the finish line on my own two blistered and sore feet! We went to get my baggage and then came home. Jann had watched the kids and it was a fabulous welcome home!!
