Sunday, July 11, 2010
Unlikely friends
Have you ever considered how people have entered your life, and what say you have had in it? Do we really choose our friends, or are they placed in our lives for us to find? Tonight I had a nice dinner celebration with some unlikely friends. Friends I have made through an organization called MOMS Club. I was first introduced to the group by a good friend of mine shortly after having Ladybug and returning to church. At first I came rarely to park visits, then playgroups, and finally found my niche in service with Meals on Wheels. Now, years later, I am the coordinator for our groups volunteer delivery scheduling for MOW, and service coordinator. So, as I am sitting at dinner with these ladies, I realize what unlikely friends we all are. These are women that I may have seen at the store or a restaurant but would have never extended myself to get to know. We all have very different backgrounds and lives, but one mutual concern, our children. I then thought to a recent conversation I had with a coworker. Again, a wonderful person who has been such a good friend to me, but without our job situation, I might have never gotten to know. We have become closer than I would have ever thought, (and definitely not by conscious choice. You know, you see someone, and say,"Ooh, I'd really like to be her friend", or "I'd really like to get to know her".) This friendship just happened and I believe she is in my life at this time for a reason. And then there are the friends who've endured you and life together, my BFF's. It's so amazing to me to see that the ones that know you the best aren't always the ones who help you the most. Whether it be by distance or the hustle and bustle of life, we can't be there for each other, always. However, I truly believe God has placed people in my path to be my support when I need it. I guess that is one small way in which we all can be like an angel to a friend. The unlikely friend, is sometimes the unseen angel.
