So I always thought summertime was supposed to be about family vacations, playing at the beach, playing with friends, relaxing, and so on. I had so many plans for the kids and I this summer, but none of it has really worked out. I have been plugging away at work trying to muster up enough hours to keep us going, working at home on projects (for work) and wondering why I ever thought going above & beyond at work would ever get me anywhere.
So, this has left the kids home with Bart most of June and not much has happened. Ladybug's creative itch gets her into my drawers of artsy stuff (from paints, to papers, to stickers, glue, scissors, etc) and the evidence of her presence there, is the scraps of paper on the floor, the sequins, and other creative residue. Then she'll show me something bizarre that she created while I was at work or sleeping (since I sometimes work nights). It's funny and frustrating at the same time. I had hope to do some projects together and teach the kids some new things, but I just don't have the time. Shoobee is always following behind Ladybug's lead. Unfortunately she knows this, and so she tells him to do things, that break the rules, to get what she wants. He loves her so much & truly looks up to her. Although, with every great relationship, comes the not so great moments of fighting and disagreements. They love each other one moment, then are crying cause someone did something that upset the other. It's drama central! Zaza, is more into everything, literally. She is in the middle of most things, from playtime, toys, games, cars, cuddles, meals, etc. She loves her momma, and gets jealous when I snuggle with the other kids. She will climb up and sit on the child in my lap. She's even been known to tell them "off... my nuggle" Meaning "get off, that's my snuggle" She has become more agile and likes to do somersaults and flips on my bed. (Parent spotted of course) She has started singing a lot lately. She can sing Twinkle, Twinkle very well, and is working on the ABC's. She tries to tell knock-knock jokes, although you can never understand the last part of it. But she laughs at it all the same. Ladybug & Shoobee are progressing in their swimming lessons, but I am not sure we will be ready for the team this fall. No biggy to me. If need be, I may just try to keep the semi-privates going and see where we get. I think Ladybug wants to try a cheer/tumble class this fall, & Shoobee will hopefully continue the dragons tae kwon do. That just leaves Zaza, I think she may be ready for a little gymnasts class.
The Fourth of July was a good day! We walked in the Children's Parade, played at the after parade fair, then as we saw 3 kids taken in ambulances to hospitals for heat related illness, we left to go enjoy some air conditioning at home. Rueben & Emmie (& Roxy) came over for Steak & Hotdog Dinner. I made a homemade potato salad (Reuben helped me) and then after dinner, we all went to watch the fireworks in Flower Mound. It was nice spending time with family. I know the kids really like playing with their "Ewbay" (& Roxy).
On July 9th we drove to Wolfforth to meet up with Bart's parents and extended family. We stayed at Poopsie's, which is always nice. Zaza & I got to share a room (she slept in her portacrib). It was so comfortable and peaceful. Sunday night, Grandpa & Gigi took the kids (&us) to see Cars 2, then we had a family dinner gathering in Neno's backyard. The food was so yummy! I loved getting to catch up with the families since we usually only see one another at Christmas. All the babies are getting so big. It is fun to see them play together! Monday my in-laws had planned to take us to the local waterpark, Texas Water Rampage. We all seemed to have fun! Ladybug and Shoobee even went down the BIG slide and liked it. Zaza played in the beach entry pool with Gigi. After the waterpark, we had another family dinner, this time with Memaw at Debbie's house. Again the food was fabulous! (And I ate way too much.) We then went back to Poopsie's and had ice cream on the patio and talked while the Junebug's flew about our heads. Tuesday was our day to leave. The plan was to sleep in a little (Bart had been getting up each day @ 6 in order to play golf with his dad), then eat breakfast and head home. Well, just as breakfast is being made, I ask Bart & Gigi where Ladybug is. They say "Oh she's outside playing with Hannah" So I casually go to peek out on them. No girls. I go outside, look closer and further around the house. No girls. I come back inside and ask, where exactly were they playing? Bart then gets up and comes out with me, we look around, still no girls. So I go back inside, ask Neno & Debbie, where does Hannah like to play when she comes over? They say they were in Neno's backyard with Sparky (the dog). So I go back (again) & look. Nope! At this point, Neno & Debbie are outside with Bart & I looking for the girls. Grandpa joins the search. Bart gets on the four wheeler and starts searching the farm. Someone says I wonder if they went across the street to say goodbye to the goats & puppies. To which I reply "Ladybug knows better than to cross a street without a parent" But Bart drives the four wheeler out there anyway. The neighbor (from across the street) is over and he calls his daughter to see if she can look for them out there. Still, NO GIRLS! Okay, so I am getting pretty panicked about now but am trying to stay calm. We have checked the barn, the back field, the side field, the yards, under parked cars, in parked cars, the basement, the neighbors property and there is no trace of these two 7 year olds. Bart comes back around on the four wheeler and gets off of it. I see the panic in his face and obviously no kids with him, and I go into full panic. My stomach moved into my throat, I thought I was going to hurl. I walked back into the house and just broke down crying. (I think it was that or faint) Gigi was inside with Shoobee & Zaza during all this searching, and she tried to comfort me. Zaza wanted to be in my lap & even Shoobee came to my side trying to figure out why I was so sad. Gigi held my hand and we said a prayer. It was about another few minutes before Poopsie comes in the house and says they found the girls. They had walked into the cotton field and were quite a ways into it. Grandpa & Bart were bringing them back. Evidently, Hanna wanted to just go for a walk & told Ladybug it was okay. So they walked, and walked, for about 1/4 of a mile. The cotton was also tall enough to hide them from our searching. Ladybug got a brief but stern talking to about going ANYWHERE without permission, & Hannah was sent to the car and Debbie left feeling bad that she had somehow caused this. I reassured her it had nothing to do with her, & that we weren't mad. In the end, the girls were home and safe. I have now had that awful, gut wrenching felling twice, & I would like to not have it again. I love my children, more than even I can comprehend! The mere thought of something bad happening to any of them, just tears me apart.
We finally got to eat breakfast and then left to drive home. It was a strange ending to a nice visit.
Someone asked me once if I thought the kids could go ALONE with family out of town, and I think this stunt only proves they are definitely not ready for that, nor am I.
